TEACH CT - The Education Association of Christian Homeschoolers

Letter of Withdrawal

Removing Your Child from Public School

If you are removing your child from public school to home educate, it is very important that you formally withdraw them from the school system in writing. You may write your own letter or download the template, “CT Letter of Withdrawal”.

This option may also be exercised if you have a child, age 17, who would like to withdraw from school:

“…The parent or person having control of a child seventeen years of age may consent, as provided in this section, to such child’s withdrawal from school. Such parent or person shall personally appear at the school district office and sign a withdrawal form. The school district shall provide such parent or person with information on the educational options available in the school system and in the community…”

Once the letter is prepared, it should be delivered in one of two ways:

1.  Hand delivered to the school superintendent’s office.  Have them sign and date the letter
     and give you a photocopy.
 2.  Mailed “Certified Mail – Return Receipt Requested”.

In doing this, both you and the school district have documentation that the child is no longer enrolled in the public school system. No additional information is required. At this point, you have the option of filing a Notice of Intent (NOI) form in accordance with the State GuidelinesClick here for more information about filing a Notice of Intent.